MODERN FACILITIES WITH HISTORICAL LINKS TO THE COMMUNITY
The Peninsula Club was formed out of a real community need in September 2010. The venue itself, was the former Dromana-Red Hill R.S.L. Sub-branch which operated from the site since 1963.
Founded in 1920 and operating from a memorial hall built on the Dromana foreshore by ex-soldiers returning home from World War I, the sub-branch provided significant support to their mates, war widows and families.
On the return from World War II, the hall was found to be too small and over time funds were raised to purchase the current land on the corner of Gibson & Noel Streets which opened in 1963.
Membership grew but fluctuated over time and the building expanded to accommodate the additional members.
However, by mid-2010, a decision was made to close the sub-branch. Renovation opened the doors in December 2010 as the Peninsula Club.
Importantly, the Dromana-Red Hill R.S.L. sub-branch continues to function and operate from the venue with its own dedicated office and is supported by the Peninsula Club.
The Peninsula Club is an all-inclusive facility for everyone who lives, works or plays on the Mornington Peninsula.
DROMANA-RED HILL RSL
The Dromana-Red Hill RSL sub-branch was formed in 1919 in the building on the foreshore that is now used by the 1st Dromana Scout group.
The Sub-branch moved to its present location in 1963, and in 1984 amalgamated with the Red Hill RSL.
Because of the Sub-branch’s friendly atmosphere, membership came, not only from the Peninsula, but from all over Melbourne and surrounds.
Membership peaked at over 1,000 in 2007 and is still over 800 today. It continues to operate a dedicated office at the Gibson St venue which operates as a community-based “Peninsula Club”.
The Peninsula Club contributes 50% of all of its Club memberships directly to the RSL sub-branch and provides a range of services including office space free of charge to the Sub-branch.
The Sub-branch can be contacted on 03 5987 3155 and the Office Hours are Thursday and Fridays 10am -2pm and 5pm – 6pm.
The Sub-branch Postal Address is:
P.O. Box 14